Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Make a Difference One Person At A Time


Monday, November 27th, 2006


I received an email from Dr. Rhonda Hackett (below), author of ” Making a Difference”. I thought the email and the idea included might spark some everyday action from readers.



Hi there - just came across your site and was delighted to see a reference
to my book “Making a Difference: Changing the World One Penny and One Minute
at a Time.” Thought I’d share some details about a project I started back in
Sept. I used a local garage sale type website, a free service to list items
that have been lying around our house and garage not being used a taking up
space. With the several hundred dollars I was able to raise I decided to
attach $1 bills to a 4×6 self-printed postcard that suggests people use the
dollar to make a difference in someone’s life (I include a few examples of
things that can be bought and where they can be donated) and ask the
recipient to share the idea with someone else. While standing in line at the
post office, grocery store, visiting local coffee shops, etc I randomly walk
up to people and give them the money. They are at first perplexed, quickly
agree to use the money to make a difference and then usually ask me a lot of
questions about who I am. I have chosen not to share details of my name, etc
when I do this as I want people to focus on the task at hand and not the
‘intrigue’ of who I am…anyway, thus far I have distributed hundreds of
dollar bills and I believe many of them have gone on to make a true
difference! Thanks for all you do!!!! Rhonda

No comments: