Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Follow-up Homelessness Consult

About 60 people struggled through a traffic nightmare to arrive at the Chamber of Commerce ballroom for an 8AM start to a well planned meeting. After introductions and background, participants were asked to select one of three areas - Funding, community engagement, or affordable housing opportunities. Each group had about 20-25 people join the discussion. Results of the discussions will be posted at Calgary Committee to End Homelessness and will be distributed to committee and subcommittee members. I won't get into the details of the discussions but I did leave feeling that our comments/concerns personal, mundane, provocative) were heard and will be considered as part of the plan. On a personal note, I suggested my longstanding idea about micro community based solutions through city community associations and there was significant uptake and consensus. The subcommittee chair guaranteed that they would produce a communication plan that could be used to get this information and encouragement out to the 191 associations in Calgary.
I don't often anticipate committees to move forward - but I left encouraged.

No comments: